Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ramblin' Road Trip


I took a road trip in March with two friends and creative forces, Tiffany Napper of Bats on Strings and Megan Victoria of Jupiter Lala. We had a plan: roam across the South, from New Orleans to Nashville,  and make magic with whatever the wind blows our way. 


We each had our essentials for the trip: loaded iPods, a grandfather's ukelele, a flask, handcrafted jewelry, favorite boots and Milk Duds. My essential packing list included several cameras and lenses. I wanted to try and document not just the places where we stopped along the way, but also the improvised, whimsical feeling of the whole trip. There were stops at state borders for impromptu dances and sit-downs in coffee shops and boutiques that turned into collaborative sessions for future business ventures. I wanted to capture the invigorating brisk temperatures, the comfort of an old leather sofa, the luxury of time to just ramble at our own pace through the landscape.




I played with several cameras and lenses on the trip, looking for details and light, in color and black and white. I tried to not be the nerd with the oversized camera bag everywhere I went, though; I limited myself, mostly, to one kind of camera for each stop. A Holga, an old film SLR, my DSLR and a point-and-shooting. What are your essentials for shooting while traveling?


JKay

No comments:

Post a Comment