Friday, July 11, 2014

JKay On Assignment




Jennifer Kay writes for The Associated Press, and she recently found herself on assignment without a photographer. She would have to take pictures to accompany her article. Here's how she coped with the challenge:

I was assigned to cover the launch of Fabien Cousteau's 31-day underwater living experiment in the Florida Keys. Cousteau left from a dock in Islamorada on a bright, sunny Sunday morning. I wanted    to make sure that we had fresh images of Cousteau, just in case something went wrong with his month-long underwater expedition. Otherwise, we only had hand-out photos that were taken in 2012 when he had last visited the underwater base. As Cousteau and his crew gathered for a press conference on their boat, I put my recorder at their feet to collect audio so that I could add their quotes to my story. Then I sat as close as I could to their boat without getting in the way of the television cameras around me and pulled out both my point-and-shoot camera, which has a zoom lens, and my DSLR with a fixed 50 mm lens. Cousteau and his crew stood on a white boat under a blazing mid-morning sun, so I knew the challenge would be balancing that white boat with the dark shadows thrown on their faces.



I tried to frame each shot to highlight Cousteau, the focus of my story, as well as some of the details around him, such as the mission logo on the wetsuits hung behind him, or the life jackets that signaled where the crew was standing, or the Nokia camera phones that the crew would use to film their project. While Cousteau emphasized the team effort that was sending him 63 feet below the ocean's surface for a month, I looked for moments when I could isolate Cousteau, the grandson of ocean exploration pioneer Jacques Cousteau.



To see more of JKay's story and photos, see the AP story here. What would you have done differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment