Monday, October 1, 2012

THREE CAMERAS



I was visiting familiar landscapes in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and I wanted to capture in photographs the light and textures that I associate with the end of the summer. In my head, I know how the late August light casts everything in a soft, warm light. The cool relief of dark shadows and swimming pools. The dry blades of grass that still somehow retain their saturated colors.

I wanted to communicate those sensations recorded by the camera in my head, but I didn’t know which camera in my hands would get it right. So, I shot most of my subjects twice, often standing in the same spot and keeping the frames as similar as possible. The only significant difference between the frames was the focal length: I had no control over the standard iPhone camera lens, while with my Nikon I tended to shoot with either a 50mm or 20 mm lens set with a wide aperture.

Can you tell which camera was used for each frame? Which frames do you prefer, the iPhone images or the “real” camera frames -- and why?  The answers and my picks will be revealed in a future blog post.





3 comments:

  1. These are all great. I prefer the top left (50 mm ?) and bottom right (20 mm ?) I also like top right.

    Beautiful light and wonderful textures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JRo, I must agree. The textures bring a certain rustic calling of the past. It is interesting regarding your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny, I think they are all interesting. My favorite frame is the bottom right, like the softer light and how you lead me into the frame and it continues to the second house. I'm guessing that's an iPhone image.

    Both top frames of the wood cabin appeal to me. If I had to pick, I'd go with the top right frame. I like the how the darkness of the doorway breaks up the repetitive pattern of the wood beams. I believe that is shot with your 'camera'. The exposure latitude is holding up better than in the top left image.

    It's an interesting blog as you clearly make a solid case for shooting with whatever you have on hand. If I'm a camera manufacturer, I'm sweating looking at this.

    ReplyDelete