Wednesday, June 13, 2012

JKay: Bon Iver , Miami Beach




I gave myself a mini-assignment at the Bon Iver concert at the Fillmore last week: Try to make interesting frames, no matter how many people are standing in front of me. I brought my Leica point-and-shoot and used the zoom and the "high grain" setting (at 1600 iso) to shoot in the low and flashing light. The biggest struggle I had was holding the frame steady as the light changed and the people in front of me moved around. Though the zoom got me closer to the musicians, I found that pulling back to a wider frame held things more steady and exposed more of the contrast between the bright stage lights and the darkened stage. By going wide, I could fill the frame with more information, even when there was less light. Instead of making portraits of the musicians, I tried to capture images that reflected the atmosphere of Bon Iver's show, particularly in the moments when individual performers took the spotlight and everything else on stage faded away.

No comments:

Post a Comment