Sunday, April 8, 2012

iPhone Irony

The Irony of the iPhone

The Irony of the iPhone

Recently, I picked up the new iPhone 4S.  It was really exciting to finally get 'the phone'.  After carrying an old Palm Treo phone for 8 years...it worked, I saw no reason to replace it.  I was really looking forward to all the amazing things I had heard about with regards to this phone.  Downloaded a few 'apps' and started to explore.


It wasn't long before I discovered that shooting with the built-in camera was surprisingly good, far better than I anticipated.  Here was, for me a business tool, that I used for emails, reading PDF's, keeping track of contacts and clients and of course phone calls.  Recently, I had to travel for business and normally I always make a point of carrying one of my cameras.  But on this recent trip, I chose to leave my smaller second body home and my primary camera I just sold as I plan to purchase a new body.  It was a short trip and I didn't think I'd be able to dedicate time to shoot.  But as is the case all too often, my flight was delayed.  So I tried to keep myself entertained.



I found myself looking around and seeing images that I wanted to capture.  The more I shot, the more I enjoyed the challenge of making images that I found interesting, dynamic and worth sharing.  I had heard and read of iphoneography and thought it was something Apple junkies created just to worship the brand.  But here I was getting more and more invested in creating images that I would have been happy to make with my more serious 'tools'.




The more I shot, the more I felt this was a viable new tool for me to use.  To some extent, I started to feel a sense of guilt.  Here I was shooting with a camera phone, no control over my exposure settings and a tiny sensor and miniscule lens.  While at home, sat a bag of expensive lenses, some valued at over $1000 dollars that I painstakingly researched, and purchased that took a real commitment at work to justify.  Was I cheating myself, my gear, my commitment to the art image-making?  Was I becoming a casual less serious shooter?  These images could never be enlarged to the same size as images made with my brick full frame DSLR. Was this bad?


It's been a few months now, and I have a collection of over 150 images that I truly like very much shot with my iPhone.  It has now become a challenge for me to put together a collection of images shot strictly with my iPhone that could be displayed in a gallery.  The images shared here are the images from that initial business trip that started the whole self-imposed challenge.  So the irony for me is that I find myself reaching for the iPhone to shoot instead of my optically superior lenses and camera.  Someone mentioned to me recently that if I had made those same images with one of my cameras they would be far superior and more usable.  I don't disagree but I lustfully enjoy watching people's reactions when they look at some of the images and gasp and say "you shot that with a phone?!?!"







Spring Break just passed for my wife and son and we took a trip to Puerto Rico for a few days.  On the trip, I chose to carry one of my cameras but I also had my iPhone with me, for work of course...
I hate to say it but I prefer the images that I shot with my iPhone to those shot with my camera.  So this is my new irony!  Do I continue to shoot with my iPhone or shoot with my camera?

4 comments:

  1. Nice to finally have a blog up on the IPC Lab blog!!

    Appreciate all the insight Carl!

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the images that you have captured with your iPhone. I'm sure with your creative insight you will find a happy median to using the iPhone and your now jealous camera equipment to continue to produce quality photographs.

    BTW my husband was in awe at the pictures you showed him from your phone on Saturday at class.

    Thanks for sharing this with us.

    Cina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Zeus! There's a photojournalist who won a World Press Photo award for work he did with his iphone not too long ago, so don't count out the iphone as a "serious" camera option. Are you using any particular camera app to shoot with, or just the camera function on the phone? Are these images "as is" or did you run them through iPhoto or Photoshop, either on your phone or your laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words! The iPhone is definitely a true photographic tool! Carl was showing me some his images shot with his iPhone. They were amazing! I'm very drawn to it. So much so, that I'm shooting more with it than my DSLR. That's been my recent concern.

    With regards to your question, I generally do some minor tweaking with contrast after shooting the image to give it a touch more 'pop'. But generally no more than 15% or so.

    ReplyDelete