Wednesday, October 19, 2011

FRAMING A PHOTO




The reflection of a couple embracing is framed by a mirror.

FRAME FAN
by Sasha Suarez
IPC Visual Lab Student

During our photography class on 10/8 in the pouring rain, we got the assignment to find pictures with the framing technique. Framing is a photographic composition technique used to enhance the overall result of a photo and to draw attention to the subject. It is using compositional framing from natural or man-made objects within the photo itself. In the adjacent photo, your attention is drawn to the couple in the mirror and not the colorful dream weavers hanging to the right of it.   http://www.digital-photography-school.com/creative-compositions-finding-framing 


Visitors scurry and shield themselves from the rain at the LHCC.









We went outside for the assignment and I really was so focused on the rain that I missed this huge framing object that was starring right at me.  Teacher C.W. Griffin told me "look", "look" and when I saw I really saw.  It was a different kind of seeing, one in which you think you solved a riddle. These photos show the whole scene outside of the Little Haiti Cultural Arts Center.









 Using the frame to draw attention to the moment is like having a secret you can't wait to tell someone you have.  It is amplifying your subject 10x.  Once I captured a couple of these pictures, I got it.  It is similar to an artist drawing a border around his subject or using the frame itself to draw the attention of his subject. 
Right: Young visitors share an umbrella as they make their way to the gallery at the Little Haiti Cultural Center.






From there I saw this one photo that caught my eye, these children in the rain really portrayed what was going on at the moment, the children’s smiles, the rain, the umbrella all caught through this one little frame.   If you ever visit this Little Haiti Cultural Arts Center and notice these frames, you will be compelled to get someone or something framed. I know I will never forget this technique thanks to CW Griffin pointing out the obvious, which at the time was not so obvious. 



My name is Sacha Suarez and I took this class to challenge my creative spirit and be inspired by amazing photographers, CW Griffin and Carl Juste.  I am getting more than inspiration; I am learning the foundation of photography techniques and applying them in all that I see in this beautiful world and a huge fan of the Frame technique!

5 comments:

  1. Great images! Love your vision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should frame your little arms around me, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the first photo of yours, Sacha, with the girls in the heels trying to get out of the ran. It's a very Miami picture, really says something about the people who live here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sasha, this blog is awesome! I especially like the reflection of the couple in the mirror. How clever! Way to frame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments, more to come.

    ReplyDelete